Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Annual Christmas Cookie Exchange Party - Snowglobe Cookies

So I recently went to my annual cookie party, this time I made snowglobe cookies. This was definitely something different for me, never tried to do anything other than regular decorating. I used my normal cookie recipe and my normal frosting recipe. I used a snowglobe cutter to cut all the cookies.

I then took a smaller circle cutter and cut out the center of the "glass" part of the globes. I had bought some clear mints with red and green stripes from the store, so I hammered them into small pieces in a baggie  (I'm sure a food processor would have been amazing for this lol). I then spooned in enough mint pieces to fill the hole on each cookie after I had them on the baking sheets. 
Then I just went ahead and baked the cookies - as they baked the mints melted down into a smooth flat goo. Once they were done baking, I pulled them out and sprinkled some sugar on the bottom bit of the mint, and also added a couple small snowflake sprinkles as well (They just kind of sunk into the mint pretty easily). Then I just let everything set until cooled. (The mint pieces kept their red and green bit and it made a swirl of color.. if you could find plain clear mints they would just look more like glass)

Here's a photo of the mint part held up to the light.

I then outlined the cookie in medium blue piping, and flooded it with light blue. I let that dry overnight, then I tried out some edible glitter I had ordered in the past. (I actually ordered it from a lady on a cookie Facebook group- though most online shops do sell them, just be careful to get the food safe ones - some actually try to pass regular non-edible glitter off as food grade) The glitter I had read to mix with vodka... so I actually just poured a little into a shot glass of vodka and then used a small brush to paint it on the base of the snowglobe. (The vodka actually coats the icing and then the glitter spreads across the surface pretty easily) Once the vodka had dried off (it doesn't effect the icing), I used white icing to attach a couple snowflake sprinkles to the base, and then added small borders around the inside and outside of the snowglobe.

I ended up making 32 of these for the party, and they went over really well! Everyone said that the mint actually made it even better with the added flavor.

Next time when I give myself more time to plan ahead, I think it would be fun to either make a stained glass cookie or else some type of window with the mints.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Clinton, Illinois, United States